I wanted to try the Neutrogena Hydroboost water gel for a long time but somehow did not ever end up purchasing it. Recently during Nykaa pink Friday sale, I found some of the Neutrogena products at a great discount. So, I decided to try my hands on this gel moisturizer and let me tell you I absolutely loved it. I have used it for around 3 weeks now and I am ready to share my honest opinion about this.
Price and Quantity: A 50 gm tub retails for INR 1050 but you can get it for a 10-15% discount at Nykaa. There is also a smaller version of 15gm which retails for INR450. There is also a combo pack of the Neutrogena Ultra sheer dry touch sunblock with the mini version of the hydroboost gel. If you are trying out this product for the first time I will suggest trying the mini version first.
Product Description: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel with 50% more hyaluronic acid has a unique light-weighted fresh texture that can be instantly absorbed, proven to effectively lock in abundant hydration deep within your skin, and continuously quench your skin’s thirst throughout the day.
- Works at new skin depth, 2x deeper in skin**
- Gives skin a pure boost of instant hydration
- Strengthens skin barrier for protection against 5 aggressors
- 5 dimensions of healthy skin achieved – smoothness, firmness, translucency, trouble-free and plumpness
Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Dimethicone/vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylamide, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Dimethiconol, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Carbomer, Laureth-7, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Fragrance, C12-14 Pareth-12, Sodium Hydroxide, Blue 1.
Ingredient Analysis: The primary 3 ingredients are water, dimethicone and glycerine. That is why this formula is very gentle on the skin and has a soft gel-like consistency. Dimethicone provides long-lasting skin-smoothing benefits and glycerine is a humectant which helps to draw water from the atmosphere and smoothen the skin. It contains sodium hyaluronate which is basically what we know as hyaluronic acid. The percentages are not mentioned. Sadly, this moisturizer contains fragrance. It has a refreshing aqua smell which I like but from a skincare perspective, I wish they did not use any fragrance. Also, it contains an ingredient called blue 1 which is a water-soluble blue dye. Although I saw it is FDA-approved, I am not sure I quite like the use of an artificial dye on my skin.
My take on the product:
- There are not a lot of gel moisturizers on the market. I can compare it with the Clinique moisture surge which also targets giving maximum hydration for a long period of time. I will try to do a thorough comparison later. This gel moisturizer is a little pricey for the Indian market. A 50 gm tub will probably last me 1.5 -2 months.
- The packaging is a blue glass tub with a white lid. There is no chance that the product will spill out while travelling.
- The texture of the product is a very soft gel which gives a feathery touch to my skin. As I have oily acne-prone skin, I simply cannot use thick face moisturizers. They are bound to clog my pores and give me red bumps all over my face. So, I am a sucker for gel moisturizers which will keep my skin hydrated for a longer period of time. The Neutrogena hydro boost water gel is great for people with oily or combination skin. I felt my skin smooth and supple and did not feel the need for additional application in a whole day even in winter. This one will work in both summer and winter for sure. My skin looked well hydrated and it did not give me any skin irritation. It gets absorbed instantly and does not make my skin look greasy at all. I can apply sunscreen or any other make-up product after applying this moisturizer.
Let’s quickly sum it up with a pros and cons list –
- Oil-free, light-weight, non-greasy formula
- Non-comedogenic (Does not clog pores)
- Gives long-lasting moisturization
- Makes skin look smooth and well hydrated
- Slightly expensive
- Contains fragrance and dye
Hope you found this review helpful. Have a nice day 🙂